Hong Kong adds 131 cases to total 220 cases of unknown origin

2022-05-21 0 By

Hong Kong, February 4 (CNS) — The new wave of COVID-19 in Hong Kong continues to be severe. As of midnight on February 4, 131 novel coronavirus positive cases were reported in Hong Kong, and the source of nearly 220 coronavirus cases has yet to be found.Tsui Lok Kin, director of the Centre for Health Protection (CHP) under the Department of Health of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), said at the opening of the briefing that the local epidemic situation was not optimistic in the past few days. The proportion of new local cases of unknown origin increased from less than 10% in early January to about 45% on February 4, and the total number of cases of unknown origin reached nearly 220.He believes that this shows that the new cases of unknown origin and the original transmission group of at least more than a generation of transmission, I believe that it is difficult to find the hidden source of transmission of these cases.Mr Tsui noted that the mutant strain of omicron could easily spread vertically or horizontally in residential buildings. So far, the CENTRE has carried out more than 20 evacuations due to vertical or horizontal transmission of buildings.Of the 131 new cases, one was imported and the remaining 130 were local cases, said Cheung Chuk Kwan, director of the Communicable Diseases Division at the Centre for Health Protection.Of the local cases, 59 were of unknown origin and 71 were related.Ten of the cases of unknown origin were in Sham Shui Po and the rest were in Yuen Long, Cheung Sha Wan, Wan Chai and Stanley, Mr Cheung said.Some cases involve site workers.Separately, the Labour Department of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government announced that a Labour Department staff member has been diagnosed with COVID-19. The staff member is Deputy Commissioner for Labour Leung Wing-yan.The Customs and Excise Department (C&E) of the HKSAR Government announced that a senior customs officer who was handling cargo inspection at the Heung Yuen Wai immigration control point had tested preliminary positive and was last available for duty on February 2.(after)